Sunday, March 29, 2009

Illiterate Adults

Forty-two million adult Americans can't read. * Source: Education Portal (September 2007) and one of the sessions that I attended had a huge impact on taking learning to read for granted. The presenters were adults who dropped out of school and never learned to read until their 30’s and 40’s (Sandra Johnson and David Clemmons). We must believe in our students and never give up on helping them learn how to read in school so they don’t end up becoming illiterate adults. I learned how people who can’t read often hide their disability by saying they don’t have their glasses or things to get them away from the pressure of someone finding out their secret. Especially as a School Literacy Coach, I feel the need to focus my energy on everything I can do to help teachers reach their students and have them be successful readers.
DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO KEEP YOUR STUDENTS FROM BECOMING ANOTHER STATISTIC! PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment